The Portsmouth Housing Authority is a dynamic, team-oriented, and mission driven organization that owns and operates over 600 affordable rental units, spread throughout a $100 million real estate portfolio of 12 different properties in the city of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
The City of Portsmouth is known as one of the best small cities in America. Portsmouth is the economic and cultural center of the North of Boston Seacoast region with a vibrant arts scene, world-class restaurants, miles of waterfront and historic downtown.
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for general and preventative maintenance, using advanced skills or certifications to maintain the Portsmouth Housing Authority’s buildings and grounds year-round under various internal and external conditions. Being self-disciplined and independent thinking, scheduling, and goal setting are required. The Maintenance Technician is also responsible for maintaining the highest standards of property conditions and safety in our neighborhoods and building positive relationships with maintenance staff/ team members, residents, and the wider Portsmouth community.
This is a 40 hour/week, full time position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to work orders entered into the system by responding and completing work orders assigned in a timely manner.
- Practices safety precautions and is safety conscious at all times and reports to immediate supervisor any items requiring maintenance as well as any unusual or unsafe conditions.
- Vacant unit preparations by following the PHA maintenance standards.
- Operates and maintains powered grounds-care equipment such as tractor mowers, riding mowers, edgers, trimmers, vacuums, blowers, sprayers, spreaders, and chainsaws following all safety requirements.
- Uses and maintains non-powered grounds care equipment such as shovels, axes, loppers, and shears.
- Performs planned preventative repair maintenance tasks related to electrical, mechanical, and plumbing equipment, systems, or other functions.
- Performs landscaping, carpentry, painting, masonry, plaster, and installing/repairing drywall, snow plowing and removal, and some custodial work may be required if needed.
- Performs such mechanical tasks as repairing and/or replacing space temperature and HVAC equipment controls.
- Install electrical appliances as needed.
- Communicates appropriately and is to act courteous to residents, other employees, and the general public at all times.
- Troubleshoots maintenance problems. Informs Maintenance Supervisor of conditions needing maintenance attention.
- Operates and makes all installations and repairs according to local, state, national and HUD codes and standards.
- Participates in weekend, emergency and on-call maintenance coverage (Year Round).
- Maintains confidentiality as to resident and Authority matters.
- Perform other duties as directed by Maintenance, consistent with maintaining high standards of property conditions, safety, compliance and rules enforcement in our neighborhoods.
- Listens and is attentive to resident needs, questions and concerns about Quality of Life issues.
Support of the Mission Statement
The mission of the Portsmouth Housing Authority is to be the leader in making quality affordable housing available for low and moderate income members of the community and to accomplish this mission by a fiscally responsible, creative organization committed to excellence. In pursuit of this mission, it is our intention to:
- Demonstrate excellence in leadership and management by working together as a team of residents, commissioners, staff, government and community;
- Ensure the efficient and effective maintenance and management of our properties;
- Foster a high performance staff with strong leadership, quality professional development opportunities, data-driven evaluation and teamwork in an environment full of pride, enthusiasm and respect;
- Demand and exemplify a commitment to integrity, professionalism and total honesty in a judgement free environment.
Valid driver’s license.
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma (vocational education preferred) and a minimum of 5 (five) years’ experience as a maintenance technician in a housing field preferred.
- Proven experience comparable to certified journeyman-level craftsman in one or more building trades or a vocational technical graduate with a journeyman rating and certified in one or more trades classifications (electrical, painting, plumbing, carpentry, masonry, plastering, or utility services) or and equivalent combination of training and experience to meet the required knowledge, skills, or abilities.
- Ability to perform a wide range of maintenance-related activities outside primary area of assignment or certification.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, equipment, tools, and materials used in one or more building trades (electrical, painting, plumbing, carpentry, masonry, plastering, or utility services).
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety procedures of the trade.
- Ability to establish an effective working relationship with supervisor, team members and residents.
- Ability to gain experience through training (whenever possible) to analyze and assist with the repair of any major system of the Portsmouth Housing Authority.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check as well as be insured by the Portsmouth Housing Authority fleet insurance carrier.
- Computer skills working with databases, Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel is also required.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to communicate effectively to common inquiries or complaints from customers or business members of the community.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Portsmouth Housing Authority provided the following inclusive hiring information:
We are an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.
- Paid time off
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- High school or equivalent (Required)