Current Job Postings
The mission of the Portsmouth Housing Authority is to be the leader in making quality affordable housing available for low and moderate income members of the community and to accomplish this mission by a fiscally responsible, creative organization committed to excellence. The Authority provides both family and elderly housing, area-wide Section 8 housing, and a youth and family services program.
If you want to contribute to our mission, and feel you exemplify a commitment to integrity, professionalism and solid work – we’d love to hear from you!
The Applications Specialist is responsible for soliciting, accepting and monitoring applications for all PHA housing programs and ensuring compliance with Fair Housing, Language Access, Section III and Title VI programs. This role will seek out, organize and conduct all outreach and marketing activities for PHA and make initial contacts with prospective recipients and residents, verifying client application information and determining eligibility for housing programs.
- Maintain applicant files and process applications in accordance with HUD and PHA procedures and regulations.
- Partner closely with Property Managers and Section 8 housing; ensure completed files are provided in a timely manner.
- Adhere to all applicable Rules and Regulations, including the Portsmouth Housing Authority Admissions and Continuing Occupancy Policy and the Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan.
- Accept applications from the public.
- Explain program procedures, eligibility criteria, waiting list preferences, anticipated waiting times and other program issues to applicants and the public.
- Manage the waiting list for all Public Housing, Tax-Credit Housing and the Section Eight Voucher Program.
- Periodically review applicant files to update information on prospective tenants and place non-respondents in inactive files.
- Ensure that an adequate pool of verified applicants is available and work with property managers to ensure full occupancy of all PHA property by qualified tenants.
- Maintain the official lists of housing vacancies and waiting lists of eligible applicants for Public Housing and Section 8 Housing.
- Prepare monthly, annual, and other periodic reports required by HUD and PHA.
- Schedule eligibility determination interviews with applicants.
- Process applications and information received from families and determine their eligibility for the program by verifying income, assets, and expenses, and calculating gross adjusted income.
- Run criminal background, landlord, and credit checks.
- Participate in informal review process as required.
- Counsel applicants on their various housing options.
- Refer participants to other agencies.
Education and/or Experience
- Associates or bachelor’s degree preferred and a minimum of three (3) years of related experience. Experience in Public Housing or Property Management a plus. Spanish speaking preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite and other basic software applications.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and the ability to be flexible with schedule to meet PHA needs is required. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and ability to interpret, follow, and enforce a variety of housing regulations is also required.
- Candidates qualified under Section 3 of the Housing and Urban Development Act as Low income or as receiving assistance from the Portsmouth Housing Authority are encouraged to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time