Frequently Asked Questions for Residents

Rent is due the first day of each month.
Any rental payments received after the 7th day of the month will incur a late fee of $20.
You can call Portsmouth Housing’s main office at 603-436-4310 or email the property managers. Go to our Contact page for listings.
Rental payments should be brought or mailed to your property manager’s office or to Portsmouth Housing’s main office at the Margeson Apartments at 245 Middle Street, Portsmouth NH 03801. Portsmouth Housing does not accept ACH payments at this time.
Contact your property manager or call the main office at 603-436-4310. If after hours, you can call the same number and ask the emergency switchboard for the on call maintenance to let you in. For a second emergency lock out call and for subsequent calls after two, residents will be charged as follows:

  • Lockout after hours first offense - No charge
  • Lockout after hours second offense - $30.00
  • Lockout after hours after second offense. - $70.00
  • Lock replacement – $150.00 (4 locks per unit)
  • Lock replacement – $50.00 (1 lock per unit.)
  • New key- $2.00 per key

In an emergency please dial 911 immediately. To report a non-urgent safety concern please make note of the specific dates and time of safety concern and then call your property manager’s office at 603-436-4310 or via email at info@nh-pha.
Guests or visitors may not be housed for more than 14 days total in any 12-month period without the written consent of the Portsmouth Housing Authority. In addition, any guest or visitor who stays either in the private dwelling or the Portsmouth Housing Authority premises for more than six (6) hours in any consecutive days shall be considered a guest subject to the overnight policy. Furthermore, residents shall not permit day guests to loiter on the Portsmouth Housing Authority premises. Should you wish to request an extension of the 14-day limit, the request must be in writing and delivered to the appropriate development office. Your request will be reviewed and you will be advised in writing whether or not it has been approved. Residents must give prompt written notice to PHA if they leave their apartment unoccupied for any period exceeding two weeks.
Portsmouth Housing does allow some pets with certain restrictions and prior written permission by Portsmouth Housing. Visiting pets are not allowed. Only dogs, cats, birds and fish are permitted on our property with the exception that dogs are NOT allowed in our family developments at Gosling Meadows and Wamesit Place. Animals not named in our policy are not allowed. With the exception of the birds and fish named in our policy, other caged animals, including rodents, reptiles and others are not allowed in Portsmouth Housing properties. You can view our Pet Policy here.
Assignment of parking spaces are done through your property manager and are different for each property. Ask your property manager for parking related information.
If there is a non-urgent defect in any of Portsmouth Housing apartments or common areas, please call our main office during our regular office hours at 603-436-4310 or report it to your property manager. Portsmouth Housing is not responsible for maintaining, lifting, hanging or repairing any resident’s personal property. For a list of charges for resident-caused repairs and replacement please click here.
With some restrictions, transfers may be granted to qualified residents. Transfer requests can be made by contacting the Applications Specialist at the main office at 603-436-4310 or at and filling out the appropriate applications.

Please pick up a tenant report form at the management office to fill out and give to the property manager or mail to our main office. You can also email the property manager with a complaint, compliment, or report. Click here to find the email address for your property management office. If it is a complaint about PHA staff and you do not feel comfortable reporting it to the property manager, you can write a letter and address it to the Executive Director.

Yes. Please visit our Volunteer page. Or contact your Resident Service Coordinator at (603) 957-8131 or email

Resident Services Frequently Asked Questions

Our Resident Service Coordination program aims to match our residents with the services and supports that can help them achieve their goals. To talk to a Resident Service Coordinator, call our Resident Services office at (603) 957-8131 or send an email to Our Resident Services team members are also available to meet with and work collaboratively with our residents to assess, plan, facilitate, coordinate, evaluate, and advocate for services to meet an individual’s or family’s needs.
No, Resident Services Coordination is free for Portsmouth Housing residents.
You can call or text our Resident Services office (603) 957-8131 or via email at

To be eligible for our Resident Services program, you must sign a “Consent for Service Coordinator to Release Information” form. The properly completed form will allow the Service Coordinator to discuss the resident’s goals and aspirations and to connect with community service providers, family members, physicians, educators, and other individuals.

The Resident Advisory Board is made up of residents in Portsmouth Housing property or participants in our Housing Choice Voucher program. Through a series of regular meetings, Portsmouth Housing Authority reviews policy, practices, and program goals with the Resident Advisory Board, and documents members’ comments and recommendations. If you are interested in getting involved in your community as a member of the Resident Advisory Board, please contact Resident Services at (603) 957-8131 or via email at
In order for residents to have trust in their relationship with their RSC, it is important for residents to know that the information they reveal to the service coordinator will not be discussed with anyone. This means that personal information is not revealed to anyone, including property staff or resident’s family, without written permission, unless required by law. Exceptions to the Right of Confidentiality: federal and/or state law or federal housing regulations may require the service coordinator to disclose the following information:

  • Adult Protective Services referrals-- it may be necessary to report residents who are endangered or exploited.
  • Disclosure may be required to provide information pursuant to a proper court order.
  • It may be necessary to report any information related to suspected fraudulent activity or other violations of federal, state and/or local housing law, regulations or other lease violations on the part of the resident.
  • It may be necessary for federal staff from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or Quality Assurance staff of the housing organization to review randomly-selected files solely for the purpose of assuring that the service coordinator is complying with all federal laws and regulations and is providing quality service coordination services.
  • Finally, as a condition of participation in this housing program, the resident agrees as stated in the lease that any employee or contractor, including service coordinators, has a responsibility to report lease violations to the property manager.